S111E: ETABS v18 Hands-On Training I (Singapore)
15 Jul 2020 (Wed) - 16 Jul 2020 (Thu)
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
1 Pemimpin Drive #10-11, One Pemimpin
SafeEntry Checkpoints required and Social Distancing Rules applies.
- Early-bird fees only valid for registrations received by 30 June 2020.
- 20% discount for registration of a group of 3 and above. This 20% discount is not applicable to Early-bird registration.
- Participants are required to bring their own laptops with support for WiFi connection and Windows System.
- Training License will be provided.
This is a comprehensive hands-on training course on using ETABS to model, analyze, design and detail a Reinforced Concrete Building Structure subjected to static gravity loads and lateral loads.
This course introduces the core technologies needed to become an adept user of ETABS, including an overview of the key finite elements modelling and analysis concepts. Limited registration and small class sizes allow for interaction with the instructor, and in-person courses allow additional time for discussion, exercises and Q&A.
This course is helpful for people with little experience with ETABS and numerical modelling of building structure, as well as for experienced users who would like to broaden their basic understanding of the ETABS system.
This course is a pre-requisite for next upcoming S211E - ETABS Hands-On Training II that is designed for more advanced analysis and design.
Introduction to ETABS
- Overview of ETABS system
- Understanding ETABS’s GUI
Creating an ETABS model
- Setup Units, Grids, Storeys, Reference Planes & Line
- Creating Model -Draw Walls, Columns, Beams & Slab
- Define Load Pattern and load the structure
- Define load Combinations and Load Cases
- Analysis, Design and RC Detailing
Overview of Finite Elements Method (FEM)
- FEM objects used in ETABS
- Line – Frame (Beam & Column)
- Area – Shell/Plate/Membrane (Slab & Wall)
- Understanding elements forces and stresses
- Finite Elements Meshing
- Finite Elements Connectivity
- Cracked section properties with Stiffness Modifier
Modelling of Frame System
- Section Designer Section
- Non-prismatic Section
- Frame end releases
- Offset modelling with Inserting points offsets
- Use of Constraints for offset connections
- End Length Offset and Rigid Zone
- Panel Zone for shear deformation
- Beam Stiffness Modifier
- Torsional effects in Beams
- Beam and Column design per EC2
Modelling of Floor System
- Virtual membrane for “Yield-line” load collections
- Plate or Shell for structural floor
- Beam-Slab interactions
- Cantilever beam/slab modeling
- Rigid & Semi-rigid Diaphragm
- Stripping of floor for design
- Floor design per EC2
Modelling of Wall System
- Pier VS. Spandrel forces and design
- Shell with limited out-of-plane stiffness
- Coupled Walls system
- Wall design per EC2
Reporting and Detailing
- Print/Display Table for tabular output
- RC Detailing with CSiDetail
Special Analysis Features
- Modal Analysis (Eigen & Ritz) and Structural response
- Effects of Elastic Shortening
- Nonlinear Static Analysis
- Stage Construction for Transfer system
- Tension/Compression Only members
- Nonlinear Links (Gap/Hook)
- Virtual Work Diagram
- Modelling Raft Foundation
- Modelling pile support with nonlinear spring
Er. Choo is a Singapore-Registered Professional Engineer with over 30 years of building design experience, both in Singapore and the USA. He had designed over 200 Light-gage steel frame structures scattered over USA and many RC and Steel buildings in Singapore when he was a consultant in major consulting companies.
Er. Choo has extensive experience in computer-aided analysis and design using advanced engineering software. He is well-versed in advanced numerical analysis including Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis and Performance Based Design.
He is the Technical Director of the Otte group of companies which specializes in advanced and innovative IT solutions for Building, Structural and Geotechnical Engineering professionals. He has conducted numerous training courses and seminars both in Singapore, Malaysia and other countries.
Er. Choo graduated with a Master of Public Works and Master of Science in Civil Engineering, earning a Full Academic Merit Scholarship from the University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. He was also awarded the Chi Epsilon (National Civil Engineering Honor Society, USA) scholarship in the Metropolitan District, the National Dean’s List and the Pitt’s School of Engineering Dean’s List during his undergraduate studies in the University.
Terms and Conditions
- Due to limited seats of 10, registration is on a first-come-first-served basis. Training seats will be confirmed upon receipt of payment.
- Cancellation of registration notice must be made in writing if you are unable to attend. Course fees refund as follows:
- Notice received 14 days prior to course date – 90% refund.
- Notice received 7 days prior to course date – 75% refund.
- Cancellation will not be accepted if notice is received less than 7 days before the event; but a substitute delegate is welcomed at no extra charge.