Advanced Seismic Analysis and Design with ETABSv20 per EC8 (Malaysia National Annex)
The two-day course aims to equip the participants with the necessary technical expertise and software skills for seismic analysis and design of buildings in Malaysia per EC8 (Malaysia National Annex). Participants are assumed to have basic knowledge of structural dynamics and are familiar with basic functions of ETABS software. The emphasis of the course will thus be on detailed implementation of EC8-code permitted methods and use of computer software ETABSv20. Key concepts in correct and effective modelling of buildings will be demonstrated with focus on Lateral Force Method (static) and Response Spectrum Method (linear dynamics). Participants will be guided through hands-on examples for seismic analysis and design of several realistic buildings. While the emphasis is on EC8 for Malaysia, the knowledge and skills learned will also be useful for design of overseas projects with seismic requirements.
|1. Review of Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Design Philosophy
|a. Fundamentals of structural dynamics
b. Elastic response spectrum
c. Effects of earthquakes on buildings
d. Earthquake design philosophy
e. EC8 and Malaysia National Annex documents
f. No‐collapse and damage limitation requirements
g. Design response spectrum
h. Ductility and behavior factor
i. Structural irregularity in plan and elevation
j. Demonstration examples of structural dynamics (SDOF and MDOF systems)
i. Resonance and effects of damping
ii. From earthquake ground motion to elastic response spectrum
|2. Important concepts on creating a good building model for FE analysis|
|a. FEM overview
b. Modeling RC joints stiffness
c. Modeling cracked section properties
d. Staged construction for transfer system
e. Understanding building response with modal analysis
f. P-Delta analysis
g. Modeling for geometric imperfections
h. Rigid and Semi-Rigid diaphragms
i. Principles of capacity design
j. Preferred structural framing for seismic analysis
i. Strong-column and weak-beam
ii. Ductile failure vs brittle failure
|3. Modeling, analysis and design a 28-storey RC building for seismic effects|
|a. Irregularity checks
b. Second-order effects & imperfections
c. Natural frequencies, mode shapes, effective modal mass
d. Inherent and accidental torsions
e. Lateral force method of analysis
f. Modal response spectrum analysis
g. Modal and directional combinations
h. Combination of actions for member design
i. Inter-storey drift check
j. Different RC Detailing requirements and its impact on design forces.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Due to limited seats of 14, registration is on a first-come-first-served basis. Training seats will be confirmed upon receipt of payment.
- Cancellation of registration notice must be made in writing if you are unable to attend. Course fees refund as follows:
- Notice received 14 days prior to course date – 90% refund.
- Notice received 7 days prior to course date – 75% refund.
- Cancellation will not be accepted if notice is received less than 7 days before the event; but a substitute delegate is welcomed at no extra charge.
SafeEntry Checkpoints required and Social Distancing Rules applies.
- Participants are required to bring their own laptops with support for WiFi connection and Windows System.
- Training License will be provided.